The Carpet/Dust Sampling Kit includes a high-volume pump (Andersen N6) and collection cassettes. The 25 mm cassettes are preloaded with a 0.8 um pore size polycarbonate filter.
The pump has been calibrated in-line to 1 ACFM (28.3L/min) at ambient temperature and pressure levels. The unit should be re-calibrated on site if non-standard temperature and pressure are encountered.
- Attach one end of the vinyl tubing to the inlet nozzle of the pump.
- Attach the other end of the vinyl tubing to the cassette by first removing the round cap from the cassette. Set aside the cap for later use.
- Remove the vinyl cap on the other end of the cassette and set aside the cap for later use.
- Plug in the pump and turn on.
- Sample the desired area.
- The best practice is to tape off square-foot sections of carpet.
- Begin vacuuming the sectioned area using a back and forth side-to-side motion. Then repeat in an up and down cross direction until there is a visible amount of dust in the cassette.
- Additional square-foot sections may have to be sampled to obtain a sufficient amount of dust.
For solid horizontal surfaces: Use a back and forth motion over the surface until there is a visible amount of dust in the cassette.
- Turn off the pump when the desired area is sampled or amount of dust is collected.
- Carefully remove the cassette from the tubing and replace the round and vinyl caps.
- Label cassette with the sample number.
- Clearly label each sample with a Sample Number and complete the Chain of Custody (COC).
- Place the cassettes in a Ziploc bag in a box with sufficient packing material to prevent damage and ship to the laboratory with the completed COC form.
- Ship samples at ambient temperature Monday through Friday.
Reference: Carpet Sampling Cassette Kit Instructions. SKC, Inc. Eighty Four, Pennsylvania. Form 40088 Rev. 1806.