- ISO 17025 accredited by AIHA-LAP, LLC
- Detection of microbially influenced corrosion using BART
- Iron-related, sulfate-reducing, and slime-forming bacteria
- Lab open on Saturdays
Test Your Water System for Corrosive Bacteria
Potable and nonpotable water system quality can be affected by the presence of specific biologically reactive bacteria. These bacteria induce corrosion, decrease flow and heat exchange efficiency, and affect water clarity, color, taste, and odor. U.S. Micro-Solutions now offers testing for Iron-Related (IRB), Sulfate-Reducing (SRB), and Slime-Forming (SLYM) bacteria using BART. The Biological Activity Reaction Test (BART) detects the presence and aggressivity of these nuisance bacteria in potable and nonpotable water samples. For more information, call us at 724-853-4047 or visit our Contact page today.
BART Collection/Shipping Guidelines
Sample: Potable or nonpotable water.
Method: Biological Activity Reaction Test (BART) – a selective, enrichment culture system for iron-related, sulfatereducing, and slime forming bacteria (IRB, SRB, SLYM).
- Use a 100 mL collection bottle containing sodium thiosulfate neutralizer. One bottle (100 mL) is sufficient for
three BART tests.
- Potable water: turn on hot or cold water outlet and fill a 100 mL collection bottle. Cap lid tightly and invert
bottle to mix neutralizer.
- Nonpotable water: submerge an open collection bottle just under the surface of the water and collect 100 mL
of water. Cap lid tightly and invert bottle to mix neutralizer.
- Clearly label each sample with a Sample Number and complete the Chain of Custody (COC).
- Place each sample in its own Ziploc bag and then in a box with sufficient packing material to keep samples
from shifting during transport.
- Place completed COC form in box.
- Ship samples overnight (Monday through Friday) for receipt within 24 hours of collection. Shipments on
Fridays must be sent by Priority Overnight Saturday Delivery.
U.S. Micro-Solutions, Inc.
302 Unity Plaza
Latrobe, PA 15650
1 Rush analysis available (Next Day, Same Day, 3-hour, Saturday)
2 Species identification will automatically be performed and charged for all gram-negative organisms unless otherwise requested
For Specific Pathogen detection – see our Healthcare/Specific Pathogen page.